Pale Man – Part 2
Day two of sculpting started with me doing some sizing reference to fix up issues such as the way to big shoulder, but during that I realised I had made one big mistake – his feet! The front foot will overhang way over the base. I am so used to small female feet that are up on heals that I didn’t leave enough room.-DOH!
So Day two was taken up by trying to remove him from his base (I really epoxied him in!). But after a while of trying to cut him out I realised the best way was to just saw the wood and free him. So that was a shame as it wasted valuable sculpting time, but it was a lesson in remembering to think of every aspect when you epoxy the sculpture down onto the base.
That was yesterday, so today he was epoxied back into a new round base like I usually use. The base is actually an old light switch surround that I get from demo yards – they usually need a bit of work to strip paint and fill holes, but they are only a few dollars each, so they make an affordable base.
The rest of the day was spent reworking the areas already done, with lots and lots of measurements to make sure the proportions were right. And adding in the rest of the form. I still have the hands to finish, then an overall scrape and smooth, and then the final details such as veins and muscle lines will be added. It will then be painted (lightly keeping the translucent clay as the main base tone) and then cooked.
And I happy with him so far, I don’t think my crappy photos do him justice. And I think this one will be hard to let go of and put up for sale.